In 1,500 words, describe the teaching experience and discuss your observations. The written portion of this assignment should include:
- Summary of teaching plan – Poster presentation online to improve health literacy in teenagers
- Epidemiological rationale for topic –
It is estimated that one in three adults in the US have reduced health literacy. Additionally, minority populations, such as African Americans, have even greater percentages of persons lacking in health literacy. I reside in Texas where 19% of the population has low health literacy. The inability to read and understand health information is significantly correlated with reduced abilities to read and write. Furthermore, low health literacy costs the US billions of dollars each year.
Nursing Diagnosis: Ineffective self-health management related to low health-literacy as evidenced by inability to show an understanding of a nursing care plan.
- Evaluation of teaching experience
- Community response to teaching
- Areas of strengths and areas of improvement