Critical Appraisal and Variables
Select one qualitative or quantitative research study in a peer-reviewed journal from your literature search on your identified chosen clinical question.
Conduct an initial critical appraisal of the study. Respond to each of the following 12 questions:
- Identify the Research Problem
- Identify the primary empirical sources cited in the review.
- Are the references current? What years would be current for the study being critiqued?
- Are relevant studies identified and described?
- Are relevant theories identified and described?
- Are relevant landmark studies described?
- Are relevant studies critiqued? Identify the critique statements made.
- Are the sources paraphrased to promote the flow of the content presented or are there too many direct quotes?
- Is the current knowledge about the research problem described?
- Does the literature review identify the gap(s) in the knowledge base that provides a basis for the study conducted?
- Is the literature review clearly organized, logically developed, and concisely written? Justify your conclusion.
- Does the literature review logically build a case for the study being reported? Why or why not?
Assignment should be 1250 – 1500 words in length with a reference and in-text citations for the article you are reviewing.