the ethics of quot the bridge quot answer 5 questions
1. Should the makers of the documentary have tried to intervene in any of the twenty-plus suicides they witnessed? Why or why not?
2. If a local news crew had been on the bridge (covering another story) at the same time as a jumper – and they recognized that the person is about to jump, would their obligations be any different than the documentary crew? Exlpain.
3. Is there any merit to complaints that the documentary might encourage “copycats” among those struggling with suicidal thought? Explain your answer.
4. Does Eric Steele’s dishonesty in obtaining a permit to film the bridge and the jumpers negate the integrity of his documentary? Discuss your answer in light of Utilitarian ethics.
5. Is there a difference between how a Utilitarian such as Mill would view the decisions made by the documentary crew and how it would be viewed by a Deontologist such as Kant? Discuss how their views might differ.
Here are some reading materials for referenceï¼š
The Bridge (Documentary) Full/Complete (Links to an external site.)
READ: Comments on The BridgeLinks to an external site.
There’s been many reports and analysis of The Bridge and Steele’s methods. You may do some research online and use the information you find, but you must cite that source in your answer.