The role of government in the economy is often debated by economists and business people. The debate ranges from having little to no government intervention to having a strong government presence in both business and social settings.
Thinking through the pros and cons of government intervention, research and identify two government agencies, departments, or regulations where the government is heavily involved in the economy that you agree is helpful and necessary. Then, research and identify two government agencies, departments, or regulations where the government is involved in the economy that you disagree with and believe the free market would be better. Be specific in your selected government agencies, departments, or regulations. It may be possible to use the same government agency, department, or regulation for both sides. For example, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) may have regulations or interventions that you both agree and disagree with. Since EPA is used here as an example, do not use it in your assignment.
For each selected example (four total),
- Assess the government intervention providing both the pros and cons.
- Discuss whether you agree with the government intervention providing facts and support for your opinion.
- Thoroughly explain and support your rationale.
- Critique the influence of the political process (for example, lobbying) on each of your examples.
The Role of Government:
- Must be three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least three credible sources
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style
- Avoid over-dependence on direct quotes. Direct quotes are a great way to strengthen our assertions and provide support. However, be sure to avoid using excessive direct quotes in lieu of original thought. Direct quotes will not meet the requirement for analysis, application, and critical thinking. Please ensure to not overuse direct quote so that you can avoid losing points for this.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style