HRM 534 Week 3 Discussion Questions and Assignment 1
· Speculate on three reasons why employees leave an organization and three reasons why employees stay.
· Outline a retention strategy that HR could use to reduce the number of employees who leave an organization for the three reasons you identified.
· Be intentional or specific with your strategy so you can measure the desire outcome. For example, an employee might leave an organization because their manager does not communicate with them about their job performance. Your retention strategy might be to implement a performance measurement process that HR could use to track monthly or quarterly performance conversations between managers and employees as a way to close the communication gap.
Assignment 1 To Organize or Not to Organize?
Select one company headquartered in your home state for which you would like to work, and which does not currently have unionized employees. Assume that you are an employee of this company and interested in starting a union.
Use the Internet to research industry unions.
Write a 5–7-page paper in which you:
Create a scenario of specific working conditions prompting the attention of employees dealing with a global mobile workforce that includes expatriates (safety, terrorism, health, and the challenges in other countries) and repatriates (retention, termination, and job placement) in a multinational organization, with a home based in the United States.
Outline the major benefits of organizing a union for this company.
· Create a mission, purpose, and objective statement for a strategic plan to organize a union for this group.
· List the steps for starting a union.
· Describe 1–2 ideas for each step of the process for starting a union.
· Determine a possible timeline for the execution of the union, including your rationale, based on the plan you drafted.
· Speculate—based on research, rather than opinion—on two management team objections the union is likely to face.
· Develop two arguments to counter management’s position on unions.
Use at least five quality academic resources in this assignment. Consider beginning with your course textbooks and scholarly sources that can be found in the Strayer Library.
Note: Wikipedia does not qualify as an academic resource.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
· Create a strategic plan to organize a union for a given company