Using the concepts and ideas learned in Modules 1-9 in Lau and Chan (2017), write an essay in response to the following prompts:
- How does the scientific method aid human critical reasoning processes?
- How and why have you made assumptions or inferences on important matters, regardless of data or evidence to the contrary? Examples here might include: fad diets, telepathy, precognition, psychokinesis, vaccinations, UFOs, magnetic therapy, apparitions, cold fusion, Bigfoot, alternative forms of medicines, genetically modified plants, etc. Describe how you have thought about this issue and analyze how you could improve your critical reasoning on this issue using the scientific method. Preference of topics is fad diets.
- Cite all claims and ideas using scholarly sources. While it is acceptable to write in the first person, be sure to cite your sources to support your inferences.
- Include at least one or two scholarly sources that are not required or recommended readings for this course. The CSU-Global Library (Links to an external site.) is a good place to find these sources.
- Your paper should be four to five pages in length and formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA (Links to an external site.).
- Papers should be double-spaced, 12-point font Times New Roman.
- Include the following in your essay: a brief introduction (Links to an external site.), a conclusion (Links to an external site.), and a reference page formatted according to CSU-Global APA requirements.
- Chapter 3. Van Cleave, M. (2016). Introduction to logic and critical thinking. Retrieved from https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/BookDetail.aspx?bookId=457
- Lau, J., & Chan, J. (2017). Scientific method: Modules 1-9. Retrieved from http://philosophy.hku.hk/think/sci/