Watch the Lecture 5 video and read the majority of the Lecture 5 Learning Materials
Read the majority of the following for your Lecture 5 assignment:
- Robin Pogrebin, Elizabeth Harris, and Graham Bowley, “New Scrutiny of Museum Boards Takes Aim at World of Wealth and Status,” (Links to an external site.) New York Times, October 2, 2019.
- Julia Halperin, “In an age of political division and dirty money, can museum boards ever be immaculate?” (Links to an external site.) Artnews, July 17, 2019.
- Rhonda Lieberman, “Painting Over the Dirty Truth,” (Links to an external site.) New Republic, Sept 23, 2019.
- Whitney Mallett and Katy Schneider, “Ranking New York’s Most Toxic Museum Boards,” (Links to an external site.) Vulture, August 7, 2019.
- Anand Giridharadas, “When Your Money Is So Tainted Museum’s Don’t Want It,” (Links to an external site.) The New York Times, May 16, 2019.
This time, you will create your own video or audio recording within VoiceThread. Research at least 3 case studies listed below (one of which must be the Sackler Family).
Provide an overview and analysis of the events, the issues, and the outcomes, while also incorporating information from several of the class readings. Be sure to articulate the main ethical issues in/around philanthropy and museums at this present time. In sum, should museums take money from patrons with unethical business practices?
- Warren Kanders at the Whitney Museum of American Art (with protests by Decolonize This Place)
- Larry Fink, Leon Black, Steven Tanenbaum, Glenn Dubin at MoMA (with protests by the Guerrilla Girls, CODEPINK, Decolonize This Place, among others)
- Sackler Family and Purdue Pharma, worldwide (with protests by PAIN Sackler, led by artist Nan Goldin)
- David Koch and the American Museum of Natural History and at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (with protests in the form of an open letter signed by climate scientists)
- Rebekah Mercer and the American Museum of Natural History
Note: this assignment is voice recording but you only need to write it and I will read it for recording.