What do you think is a valid reason for a country to go to war? Read the reasons below and decide whether you think each reason is valid or not valid.
- to defend territory and people
- to protect an ally from invasion
- to gain territory or resources
- to stand up for an idea
- to defend human rights and punish wrongdoing
- Choose one of the justifications you feel is valid. What are the reasons you feel this way? What are the reasons you rejected one of the justifications?
- For what ideas might a country be willing to fight?
- For what resources might a country be willing to fight? Why?
If you believe there are never any valid reasons for going to war under any circumstances, explain why you hold this viewpoint.
Provide at least two pieces of supporting evidence or events for your argument from the lesson and/or the online textbook.
Post a detailed response to the discussion prompt.