1. Please read the Chapter 13, Chapter 19 and Chapter 20 that you find in the textbook for this course.
Chapter 13: Aging and the Elderly (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter13-aging-and-the-elderly/);
Chapter 19: Health and Medicine (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter19-health-and-medicine/);
Chapter 20: Population, Urbanization, and the Environment (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter20-population-urbanization-and-the-environment/).
Based on what you have learned in this unit, answer the following questions:
- What factors do you think contribute to the disparities in health among ethnic, socioeconomic, and gender groups in your country?
- What diseases are the most stigmatized? Which are the least?
- Is this different in different cultures or social classes?
2. Briefly acquaint yourself with the Encyclopedia Britannica entry about Lewis Mumford: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Lewis-Mumford
Afterwards read a couple of pages from this excerpt from the following work by this author: http://habitat.aq.upm.es/boletin/n21/almum.en.html. –> ALTERNATE LINK
Please discuss this reading assignment in light of the reading materials for this unit.
Mumford, L. (1956). The Natural History of Urbanization. In Thomas, W. L., Jr. (Ed.), Man’s Role in Changing the Face of the Earth. Chicago & London: University of Chicago Press.