Directions: After completing the Week 10 activities, answer these questions in your own words. Please change the color of your answers, so that I can easily see your answers!
1. What were the main features of the Democratic Revolution, and what role did Andrew Jackson play in its outcome? Think about this question as you read the chapter.
What were the main features of the Democratic Revolution?
What was Andrew Jackson’s role in these developments?
What were the consequences of the Democratic Revolution?
2. Refer back to your LearningCurve score for Ch. 9. Which area of the reading had the lowest score (topic performance details)? Highlight the answer.
A. Foundations of a New Social Order
B. The Cotton Complex
C. Technological Innovation and Labor
D. New Social Classes and Culture
3. Find the Chapter 9 Review (linked in the Textbook: Chapter 9 section of Module 10). There are 4 review questions that correspond to the four sections of the chapter. Answer the question for your lowest score as identified in #2.
4. Based on US Crash Course #14 (Age of Jackson):
- How did the Market Revolution lead to lowered property qualifications for voting between 1820 and 1850?
- How was the American System fueled by economic nationalism?
- How did John Quincy Adams win the presidency over Andrew Jackson in the Election of 1824?
- What were the consequences of the Tariff of 1828, and how did it affect South Carolina?
- What were the opinions of Andrew Jackson and of Nicholas BIddle about renewing the charter of the Second Bank of the United States?
5. Primary Source Readings Set 1: Indian Removal
Both the Jackson and Cherokee pieces address the proposal to remove Indians from the Southeast.
- How does Jackson attempt to justify Indian removal?
- How do the Cherokees make their case against it?
6. Primary Source Readings Set 2: Skidmore
The Skidmore piece deals with the growing economic inequality in the US during the early 1800s.
- What does he propose needs to be done?
7. Primary Source Readings Set 3: Changes in the Franchise
This document includes excerpts from the constitutions of three states (Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York) as they changed from the 1770s to the 1840s.
- What trends do you see in these voting laws? What groups were initially included, but were then excluded? What groups were initially excluded and then included? What does this tell us about jacksonian America?
8. Understanding the Second Party System
- What political parties make up the Second Party System?
- Using this section and your textbook, what are three characteristics of each party?
9. Understanding Indian Removal
- What were the reasons for the development of the Indian removal policy?
- What were the Cherokee Cases?
- What was the Treaty of New Echota?
- What was the Trail of Tears?