I’m trying to learn for my History class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
This assignment must be written in 12 point font, double spacing, with 1″ margins. Check your spelling and word choice. You will be graded on form and content. Your pages must be numbered and stapled. This should be about 4 pages total. You can write your assignment in question format with numbers or you can weave your answers into an essay in any order you like. If you quote an element in the books, offer me the page numbers. Any examples you give should be specific, without sweeping generalizations that start with “throughout.”
THERE ARE THREE PARTS BASED ON TWO DIFFERENT READINGS AND A VIDEO. THE FIRST IS I HELD THE SUN IN MY HANDS BY ERIKA JACOBY, THE SECOND IS THE VIDEO OF AN INTERVIEW WITH MS. JACOBY, AND THE THIRD IN “MY FATHER’S LAST TESTAMENT” BY BELLA SHOHAM WHICH IS FOUND POSTED ON CANVAS. YOU MUST READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FOR BOTH AUTHORS.
1. FROM I HELD THE SUN IN MY HANDS: PICK FOUR QUESTIONS:
A. What allowed Erika to survive the war when so many other died? In what way was Erika fortunate regarding her experiences in the camps? (circumstances, personality, luck?)
B. How were relations between Jews and Christians before the war in Erika’s town? How about relations between Jews and others during and after the war? Did attitudes change after the war? Were there Christians who treated Jews with kindness? Are there any lessons you can learn from this?
C. What did you learn about the experience of the Jews in the Holocaust that you never knew before?
D. What role did Judaism play in Erika’s life and her thinking? Did this role change as her life proceeds? Is there any indication that her faith was strengthened or weakened as the result of her experiences?
E. What is the role of Dr. Josef Mengele at Auschwitz? Look him up online – what else can you learn about him? When and where did he die?
F. On two occasions, Erika gets surprise provisions. What does she do with them? Does that surprise you?
G. On pp.44-45, Erika tells us about one of her neighbors. What does this tell you about how Hitler defined someone as a Jew?
H. What kind of life did Erika create for herself after the war?
2. FROM THE VIDEO OF ERIKA:
WATCH THE LAST 35 MINUTES; WHAT DOES SHE ADD IN THE VIDEO ABOUT HER EXPERIENCES IN AUSCHWITZ THAT WE DON’T FIND IN THE BOOK?
3. FROM “MY FATHER’S LAST TESTAMENT” FOUND ON CANVAS. PICK THREE.
1. What gave Bella the will to survive?
2. What role does Israel play in these peoples’ lives?
3. What circumstance of Jewish existence or Bella’s life did you find the most horrifying or shocking?
4. Discuss the two individuals in the story. Were they admirable people? Scoundrels? Any other words come to mind? What did they do or did not do to deserve these labels?
5. On Inter-ethnic strife: Are there any indication in Bella’s memoirs concerning the reasons for the antipathy towards the Jews? How were relations between Poles and Ukrainians?