Access the following information. You may read the PDF online or download it.
U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2019). Brief summary of results from the 2018 national sample survey of registered nurses. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bureau-health-workforce/data-research/nssrn-summary-report.pdf (Links to an external site.)
- Review the data and describe some of the key attributes/characteristics of this sample of the nursing workforce.
- Discuss some of the data that you found interesting and include what you believe the purpose (intent) of sharing these results.
- The instruments and tools that we use to collect data need to be reliable and valid. Define these terms and explain the importance of each. Share one way that can be used to collect data that you were not aware of or familiar with.
- Discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers. In discussions students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Integrate outside scholarly sources when required
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates and/or instructor
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
I will also need one reply to two classmates, I am attaching their replies. thank you
- Nensi: According to U.S. Department of health and Human Services (2019), researchers had shown key characteristics of nurses like average age, diverse and ethnicity minority groups, their qualifications and education attainment, telehealth use, and salary in the workforce. The National Sample Survey of Registered Nurses (NSSRN) survey data shows that average age of RN was 50 years old. 83% Rns held nursing related job. Nurses are more diverse today than in 2008. 39 % nurses can use telehealth in the work practice. 11.5% nurses are advanced practice nurses.Some of the data I found interesting is initial education qualification of RNs are associate (48.5%) and bachelors’ degree (39.2%) which seems to be true as most of my colleague nurses or supervisor nurses who also hold either associate degree or trying to seek bachelor’s degree. Another surprising data revealed through the survey was there is slight increase from 8.1 % to 11.5% in advanced practice nurse rate from 2008 survey. I believe the purpose of sharing the results is to evaluate and project of nursing resources, to provide educators, leaders, and policymakers to develop nursing workforce supply based on trends found in nurse characteristics such as education and training, employment, income, and demographics.Chamberlain College of Nursing week 5 lesson (2022) states that instruments must be reliable and valid to yield useful data results. What does it mean by reliable and valid? Reliable measure a variable with accuracy and consistency and a valid instrument measures the correct data. Researchers must have reliable and valid data to draw correct analysis based on findings. As week 5 lesson mentions that there are different ways to collect data. I was aware of collection data instruments like observation, surveys, scales, interviews, patient charts, but was not aware of the methods can be categorized into primary vs secondary based on direct involvement of the subject for that study. For example, the article that we had used for this discussion, researchers had collected data through the survey of the nurses so that would fall into psychometric instruments from primary collection method.
stephany: Review the data and describe some of the key attributes/characteristics of this sample of the nursing workforce.
Some key attributes and characteristics about the sample I found:
A sample size of 102,690 RNs was selected randomly out of 4.6 million from the licensure board. They were then sorted by state, license type (NP or RN) and demographical variables. Approximately 50% of that sample participated yielding a total response of approximately 50k surveyed. The survey was revised from the 2008 survey to enhance response. The data collection is compared to past data to show trends and changes.
Discuss some of the data that you found interesting and include what you believe the purpose (intent) of sharing these results.
One thing I found interesting was the increase of male and minority in nursing. There is a consistent increase trending from 1977 to 2013 and after. The other was the trend in age versus full time and part time. As age increases, so does the rate of part time nurses with the majority of part time nurses at an age greater than 70 years old with a percentage rate of 71% of part timers aged 70-74 and 71.6% of part time nurses aged 75+ (US Department of Health and Human Services). I did like the breakdown of states and how many active nurses there are for each. I believe the intent of this data collection is to show the challenges the workforce may face and the needs for the future. This collection of data may also provide insight to where targeted recruitment may be effective in obtaining more nurses for the future.
The instruments and tools that we use to collect data need to be reliable and valid. Define these terms and explain the importance of each. Share one way that can be used to collect data that you were not aware of or familiar with.
Reliable: This instrument measures the variable with consistency and precision. With reliability, you can reliably measure inaccurate data resulting in invalid research (Chamberlain, 2022). The importance of obtaining reliable measures is to ensure the research and findings is not based off the collection of inaccurate data. You can be consistently wrong when measuring skewing the entire conclusion. This error could result in the research being invalid and not credible.
Valid: Instrument measure with characteristics of being accurate and honest (Chamberlain, 2022). Validity is at upmost importance when obtaining evidence and research to implement change. These instruments are essential to ensure patient safety and promoting change to a policy or practice based on the research completed.
Triangulation is a research method believed to increase validity and reliability of research. Triangulation is accomplished by utilizing several research methods to collect data such as chart review, direct observation of the patient and interviews (Moon, 2019).