Critical Appraisal and Variables
Select one qualitative or quantitative research study in a peer-reviewed journal from your literature search on your identified chosen clinical question.
Conduct an initial critical appraisal of the study. Respond to each of the following 12 questions:
- Identify the Research Problem
- Identify the primary empirical sources cited in the review.
- Are the references current? What years would be current for the study being critiqued?
- Are relevant studies identified and described?
- Are relevant theories identified and described?
- Are relevant landmark studies described?
- Are relevant studies critiqued? Identify the critique statements made.
- Are the sources paraphrased to promote the flow of the content presented or are there too many direct quotes?
- Is the current knowledge about the research problem described?
- Does the literature review identify the gap(s) in the knowledge base that provides a basis for the study conducted?
- Is the literature review clearly organized, logically developed, and concisely written? Justify your conclusion.
- Does the literature review logically build a case for the study being reported? Why or why not?
Assignment should be 1250 – 1500 words in length with a reference and in-text citations for the article you are reviewing.
APA format is required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide located in the Student Success Center.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Length: 1250-1500 words
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the minimal word amount for this assignment.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least three (3) scholarly sources to support your claims.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).