Dementia Case Study
The nurse is caring for a 43-year-old African American patient admitted with the diagnosis of status epilepticus. After a 3-day stay in the ICU, the patient was transferred to the neurology unit. They have a history of obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and migraines. Additionally, there is a history of depression, obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and migraines. Discharge medications include Lisinopril, Neurontin, Depakote, Imitrex, Sertraline, and Wellbutrin.
- Describe the education required for this patient.
- Describe how you would assess barriers to education.
- How would the effectiveness of the education be determined?
- Support/explain your thought processes as you determined what was needed for this patient.
Create an educational PowerPoint about stroke and nursing responsibilities. The contents of the presentation should include:
- Title (1 slide)
- Compare and contrast between the different types of stroke (2-3 slides)
- The clinical manifestations and diagnostic studies for strokes. Briefly describe the NIH stroke scale. (3-4
- The intraprofessional care of strokes: includes prevention, drug, and surgical care (3-4 slides)
- The nursing considerations with acute care of both types of stroke (2-3 slides)
- The nursing management, teaching, and rehabilitation needs of a patient with a stroke (3-4)
- References (1 slide)
Review the rubric for assignment requirements
Length: Minimum of 16 slides, which includes title, and reference slide. Each slide should follow the 6×6 rule (6 bullet points no longer than 6 words). Add any pictures, graphs, videos, etc. to enhance your presentation.
Structure: Include a title slide and reference slide in APA format.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least three (3) scholarly resources to support your claims.