© PENN FOSTER, INC. 2017 PAGE 1MUSIC APPRECIATION Graded Project
CONTENTS BACKGROUND 2
WRITING GUIDELINES 4
GRADING RUBRIC 4
SUBMITTING YOUR PROJECT 5
© PENN FOSTER, INC. 2017 PAGE 2MUSIC APPRECIATION Graded Project
BACKGROUND For this project, you’ll continue your study of composers throughout the major periods of music. Your textbook covers the most well-renowned composers of each period, but there were many others who changed the landscape and added a significant number of other well-known works that your textbook doesn’t cover. You’ll now be tasked with researching some of these composers to see how they influenced their respective genres.
Composers For this project, you’ll answer ten questions about composers from seven of the periods you studied throughout your course. You must select one composer from each of the fol- lowing periods to research:
1. Medieval and Renaissance Periods
n Francesco Landini
n Thomas Weelkes
n Tielman Susato
2. The Baroque Era
n Johann Pachelbel
n Barbara Strozzi
n Arcangelo Corelli
3. The Classical Era
n Christoph Willibald Gluck
n Marianne Martinez
n William Billings
4. The Romantic Era
n Louis Moreau Gottschalk
n Arthur Sullivan
n Modest Mussorgsky
© PENN FOSTER, INC. 2017 PAGE 3MUSIC APPRECIATION Graded Project
5. The Early Twentieth Century
n Manuel de Falla
n Charles Griffes
n Francis Poulenc
6. American Innovations in the Arts
n Danny Elfman
n W.C. Handy
n Zez Confrey
7. Twentieth Century Internationalism
n Tan Dun
n Tania Leon
n Ali Akbar Khan
Questions Once you’ve selected the seven composers you’d like to research, you’ll need to research the answers to the following ten questions:
1. What are the years of the composer’s birth, and, where applicable, death?
2. Where was the composer born? Where did he/she compose (if different than birthplace)?
3. What musical training did the composer receive, if any?
4. Does/did the composer play any instruments? If so, what instrument(s) is the composer most well-known for playing?
5. Which genre(s) did the composer contribute to? If he or she contributed to multiple genres, where did he or she make the greatest impact?
6. Who were the composer’s influences or teachers?
7. In what ways is the composer’s work characteristic of his or her time period?
8. What are some of the composer’s most famous works?
9. What challenges, if any, did the composer face that may have affected his or her work?
10. What is innovative about the composer’s work?
You’ll then write a 1,000 to 1,200 word essay consisting of an introduction, one paragraph about each composer, and a conclusion.
You will need to find at least one source, from the Internet, a library, or elsewhere for information for this assignment. Be sure to use reputable sources when searching for information on your selected composers. The Penn Foster Virtual Library is a good place
© PENN FOSTER, INC. 2017 PAGE 4MUSIC APPRECIATION Graded Project
to start for information on resources, citations, and references for this assignment. Visit the Music Appreciation Page in the Penn Foster Virtual Library at this link: http://pflibrary.pennfoster.edu/c.php?g=593483
Answer each question using complete sentences. Cite all sources using APA format. Answer the questions in essay format; do not answer them in list format.
WRITING GUIDELINES 1. Your paper must be 1,000-1,200 words written in essay format.
2. Type your graded project using Microsoft Word or a similar program.
3. Use 1-inch margins and double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font.
4. Use proper APA formatting. Include a works cited page in APA style. On this page, list websites, journals, and all other references used in preparing the submission. Also include a cover page and in-text citations.
GRADING RUBRIC Your project will be graded according to the following rubric:
Skill Realized A 100-90
Skill Emerging C 79-70
Skill Not Shown
The student clearly identifies which seven composers are discussed in the project. Each correct heading is worth 5 points.
35–33 33–31 31–29 29–0
Ideas and Content
The student answers all ten questions for each selected composer. Paragraphs are composed in essay format. Reputable sources are used as in-text citations throughout the project. All sources are listed on the Works Cited page.
40–35 35-31 31-28 27-0
© PENN FOSTER, INC. 2017 PAGE 5MUSIC APPRECIATION Graded Project
Grammar, mechanics and sentence structure
The writer uses correct grammar, spelling, punctu- ation, and sentence struc- ture. The writer makes correct word choices, de- fines unfamiliar terms, and conveys a clear message. The writer has edited and proofread the essay.
15–13 13-11 10–8 8–0
The writer met the required length (1,000– 1,200 words), used the assigned font and mar- gins, and included a title page and works cited page in APA format.
10-9 8–7 7–5 5–0
SUBMITTING YOUR PROJECT To submit your graded project, follow these steps:
1. Go to http://www.pennfoster.edu.
2. Log in to your student portal.
3. Click on Take Exam next to the lesson you’re working on.
4. Follow the instructions provided to complete your exam.
Be sure to keep a backup copy of any files you submit to the school!