Basic Pharmacotherapeutic Concepts/Ethical and Legal Aspects of Prescribing
Post a description of the patient case from your experiences, observations, and/or clinical practice from the last 5 years. Then, describe factors that might have influenced pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes of the patient you identified. Finally, explain details of the personalized plan of care that you would develop based on influencing factors and patient history in your case. Be specific and provide examples.
- Review the Resources for this module and consider the principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Reflect on your experiences, observations, and/or clinical practices from the last 5 years and think about how pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic factors altered his or her anticipated response to a drug.
- Consider factors that might have influenced the patientâ€™s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes, such as genetics (including pharmacogenetics), gender, ethnicity, age, behavior, and/or possible pathophysiological changes due to disease.
- Think about a personalized plan of care based on these influencing factors and patient history in your case study.
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2018). Lehneâ€™s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice providers. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Chapter 1, â€œPrescriptive Authorityâ€ (pp. 1â€“3)
- Chapter 2, â€œRational Drug Selection and Prescription Writingâ€ (pp. 5â€“9)
- Chapter 3, â€œPromoting Positive Outcomes of Drug Therapyâ€ (pp. 11â€“16)
- Chapter 4, â€œPharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Drug Interactionsâ€ (pp. 17â€“40)
- Chapter 5, â€œAdverse Drug Reactions and Medical Errorsâ€ (pp. 41â€“49)
- Chapter 6, â€œIndividual Variation in Drug Responseâ€ (pp. 51â€“56)
American Geriatrics Society 2019 Updated AGS Beers CriteriaÂ® for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults By the 2019 American Geriatrics Society Beers CriteriaÂ® Update Expert Panel*