Part 1: Post a Response
This week is all about the smallest components of life: atoms, molecules, and cells. In this discussion topic, we concentrate on cells. To begin, watch the Khan Academy video “Introduction to the cell” found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfHxF6Vhps and then address the following questions.
· In the video, the narrator says that we might think that since cells are so small, that they must be simple, but “nothing could be further from the truth.” Give a few examples to illustrate the internal complexity of cells.
· Did anything in this video surprise you, or was it mainly a recap of material you already knew?
“Netiquette” Please respond to the following:
· Netiquette refers to the correct or acceptable way of communicating on the internet. Here is an example for you to evaluate this week in our discussion:
. Your co-worker, Kevin, sent an email telling your supervisor that you were not doing your part on a project. He also sent you an email filled with insults and profanity about your work ethic and performance.
. How do you respond to Kevin in a professional way? Do you:
2. Share your concerns with Kevin in front of everyone in the break room
2. Avoid speaking to him all together
2. Ask to meet with him privately and explain how it makes you feel
. Provide an explanation of your choice.
Part 1: Post a Response
In this week’s discussion you will be exploring energy and how it’s captured, released, and used by all living creatures.
Review the video about the “phytoplankton that brought Earth to life” found at: https://youtu.be/m_43nR11PW8. In this clip, Penny Chisholm discusses a tiny phytoplankton called Prochlorococcus. Based on that video, address the following:
· In the video, Dr. Chisholm tells us that Prochlorococcus samples from different environments that are genetically different. Discuss what this tells us about the relationship between organisms and their environments.
· What do you think is the most interesting or significant aspect of Prochlorococcus?
Week 3 Assignment 2: Creating a Text Message
Due Week 3 and worth 40 points
Your internet was down last night and you weren’t able to turn in your last assignment. Your professor is away from her office, so you know the quickest way to reach her is via text message. Compose and send a text to your professor notifying her of this situation.
Create a text message in which you:
1. Explain what happened with the internet and how that will affect your schoolwork.
2. Identify yourself and include a closing.
3. Use appropriate language that follows netiquette rules for a professional audience.
4. Use complete sentences with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style.