Prior to beginning work on this assignment, research social issues. Select and then define a significant social issue faced by the justice system, evaluate the scope and consequences of the issue, and analyze societyâ€™s responses to the issue (including public policies and other less formal responses). Papers should also present a clearly reasoned alternative, supported by scholarly research.
In short, define a problem, discuss the response, and provide alternative responses to the problem. For example, your problem could be drug use/abuse, with a focus on prescription drug abuse among teenagers. Your description of the problems should be fact based, relying on expert opinion. Your alternative response can be an adjustment of current policy or a new direction. For example, you may propose longer prison sentences, or legalization of all drugs. Be creative, although suggestions must be supported by scholarly research.
Please refer to the list below to help you build your paper:
- Identify the problem. Be sure to narrow your problem enough to allow a focused examination.
- Describe the individual, social, and criminal justice system implications of this problem. Discussion of implications should be supported by accurate research data.
- Summarize what experts say about the problem.
- Explain what you, as a society, have done to remedy this problem. Consider public policies and other, less formal responses.
- Analyze to what extent public policies and other, less formal responses are effective in addressing this problem.
- Propose an alternative solution to the problem.
- Analyze why the alternative is, or can be, an effective response to the problem. Remember to consider negative consequences of the alternative response.
- Conclude with your thoughts about your chosen social problem. This is a good place to include personal opinions, assuming you wish to share them in a research paper.
Final Paper Requirements:
- Must be at least 8 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must include an abstract.
- Must utilize academic voice.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least 3 scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.
**Plagiarism will NOT be accepted.