How Economic Inequality Harms Societies
[WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, watch Richard Wilkinson’s TED Talk How Economic Inequality Harms SocietiesLinks to an external site..Also, review Section 2.1 and Chapters 3 and 4 from your course text.
For this assignment, address the following in a four- to five- page paper:
- Explain Richard Wilkinson’s statement: “The average well-being of our societies is not dependent any longer on national income and economic growth.” What does he claim matters more, especially in the context of globalization?
- Identify some of the common issues that plague unequal societies, according to Wilkinson.
- Examine the human cost of unequal societies.
- Evaluate how unequal societies challenge authority and globalization overall.
- Discuss Wilkinson’s expressions of social dysfunction.
Please make sure you develop your paper using your own ideas and thoughts. Cite specific parts of the video plus parts claims from at least two scholarly and/or credible sources to support your interpretation. Focus on exploring your own ideas, rather than simply repeating the author’s ideas. Your grade will be based on evidence that you read carefully and thought about the material for yourself.
The How Economic Inequality Harms Societies paper
- Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA styleLinks to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Microsoft WordLinks to an external site..
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic VoiceLinks to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & ConclusionsLinks to an external site. as well as Writing a Thesis StatementLinks to an external site., refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly and/or credible sources as well as the required video for this week.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site. guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site. resource in the Writing Center for specifications.