Possible Blog Forums to Create Your Blog.
- Google Sites
- Adobe Spark
- Steps to Creating the Blog 1. Set up your blog website. a. You will create a blog on Edublog, Blogger, Blogspot, WordPress, Weebly, Wix, Adobe Spark, or another blogging forum. Your blog should be creative and will include a total of 2 blog entries and an author/about page. Step 1 is to set up your blog on one of the blogging sites. If you are uncomfortable creating a blog on a blog site, you may opt to create your blog using Microsoft Word or other software and save your blog entries as PDFS. As a CSUF student you are eligible for Office 365. Click here for more information.
- 3. Selectatopic. a. Now that you have set up your blog and created an About Page, the next step is to select a topic for your first blog entry. Blog Entry # 1 can be any sociology of family topic from Weeks 2- 8 (assigned readings and modules). Blog # 2 can be any sociology of family topic from Weeks 2-15. 4. ResearchYourTopic a. Begin your research. For each blog entry (1 and 2) you will need to research at least 2 sociology scholarly peer-reviewed journals, two theory sources, and one other source. Your post will include a minimum of 8 in-text citations in APAformat from at least 5 sources in total. You are welcome to cite from as many credible sources as you would like but the minimum is 5 (2 sociology journals, 2 theory sources (1 for main sociological perspective and 1 for the other theory source), and 1 other source (can be the Family texts if you would like). b. As stated above you will need to research at least 2 or more peer-reviewed scholarly sociology journal articles that are related to your topic for each blog entry. Use the library search link on our class site to research the articles. Review the list of Sociology scholarly journals. Each post should have a minimum of 8 in-text citations in APA format. You will cite at least 4 in-text citations from your two scholarly journals, in APA format, in your post. You should have at least 2 in-text citations from each journal, in APA format. The sociology scholarly journals should then be listed on your Reference page, in APA format. c. You will research and cite from 3 other credible sources. One of these sources will be your theory source and one other source. For your other 3 sources you may use additional scholarly journals, books, the Family textbooks, module content, credible websites, credible news sources, etc. (Other scholarly journals (political science, communication, etc. Your three additional sources should then be listed on your Reference Page in APA format. You must have at least 2 in-text citations from your theory sources. 5. Sociology Theory. Two Theories/ Two Sources
- You will need to select and apply at least one of the main sociological perspectives to your topic. You will introduce the theory, cite a source, briefly explain what the theory is to the reader, and then explain your topic from this theoretical perspective. (Don’t forget that you need at least 1 in-text citation, in APA format, from your theory source. (Theory source may be a textbook, another scholarly journal, an academic website, etc.). Introduction, application, citation, and explanation of one of the perspectives is worth up to 10 points.
- You will also select, introduce, apply, and explain at least one other more specific topic related theory to your blog topic. For example, if you are writing about love, you might select one of the love theories covered in the assigned reading
You will cite at least 4 in-text citationsYou may use conflict theory, structural functionalistor module. Introduction, citation, application and explanation of this theory as related to your topic is worth up to 5 points.
- Create an Outline Before You Write (Recommended)
- Your blog entry should include an introduction and a hook to capture the attention of the reader. Your post should be organized and include a body of paragraphs, highlighting your opinion about a family topic, illustrated with real life examples, and supported by your research, at least 8 in-text citations in APA format from your 2 scholarly sociology journals and 3 other credible sources. You should also explain your topic from a sociological theoretical perspective (see theory paragraph above). You should have at least 2 in-text citations for your theory sections.
Your blog post should end with a conclusion, wrapping up the main points.
- Each blog entry should be a minimum of 900 words or more. All citations must be in APA format and you will need to include a reference list at the end of your blog article. (Blog About Page does not have to be 900 words). You will lose points for blog entries less than 900 words.
- Make sure that you write content in your own words and cite the sources. Do not use more than 1 direct quotation. You will lose a significant number of points for using more than one direct quotation per blog post
Apply and explain your research to real-life examples. Offer a unique perspective or apply and explain topic to an interesting example. Do not regurgitate the content that you learned about in the assigned readings or modules. Simply rewriting content that you learned does not demonstrate your ability to apply the knowledge to real-life scenarios. Earning the full points for the written portion of your blog entry requires that you not only cite several research sources but that you are applying the research and explaining it as related to real-life scenarios or your personal experience.
- Blog Checklist Each blog entry should include the following items: 1. The blog entry number and a title to your blog post. For example- Blog 1- “Happily Ever Never”. Not having a blog title is an automatic loss of 3 points for each blog entry.
- An Introduction with a hook. Your blog post should include an attention getting hook and introduce your topic to the reader.
- An organized body of paragraphs. The body of your post should include your main points about the topic. a. At least 4 in-text citations from your two or more Sociology Scholarly Journals in APA format. Each missing citation in APA format is a deduction of 4 points. b. At least 3 in-text citations from your other two credible sources in APA format. Each missing citation from your other 2 or more credible sources is a deduction of 3 points. One of the citations will be to support your theory section. c. One or more fully developed paragraphs introducing, defining, applying, and explaining at least 1 sociology theory as it relates to your topic. You should have at least 1 in-text citation in APA format for this section. (Conflict Theory, Symbolic Interactionist Theory, Structural Functionalism or Feminist Theory). You are also encouraged to apply a second theory of your choice. d. Real life examples or current events to illustrate your points about the topic.
- Three or more images creatively and thoughtfully selected and placed within your post that illustrate your topic and capture the attention of the reader. Images should relate to your topic and add to the value of your post. Images may include photos, illustrations, tables, charts, graphs, etc. Be sure to give credit to the sources if they are not your own. If they are your own, give credit to yourself.
- Three or more hyperlinks to suggested videos and websites related to your topic. Each hyperlink should include a full sentence description so that the reader understands the relevance. Hyperlinks to suggested videos and websites must be different than your sources for in-text citations. For example, if you are doing a blog post about family violence, suggested hyperlinks might be non-profit organizations, a video about family violence, or a government website with statistics about family violence.
- Conclusion- Wrapping up the main points you discussed in your post.
- Reference Page- Your reference page should state References and list your two or more sociology scholarly journals in APA format, your two other credible sources, in APA format, and the source you used for your theory section, in APA format.
- Review and edit and revise your post before submitting. I recommend using Grammarly to help you with editing for grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors. As a CSUF student, you are eligible for the premium version of Grammarly. Please refer to the syllabus or Module 1 with more information about free software for students.
- Do not use more than one direct quotation in each blog entry. Instead paraphrase in your own words and cite the source. If you do use one direct quote, make sure that your citation includes a page number and the source. When you turn in your blog to Turn-It-In, it should have a low similarity score.
- You may be turning the body of your post into Turn-It-In, in addition to submitting the link for your blog entry. Remember, the key is to paraphrase and cite your sources. If I have you submit to Turn-It-In, I will provide a separate link for this portion of the assignment.
- Once you have posted your main post, you will then reply to two or more of your peers’ posts. Replies should be thoughtful and meaningful. If you like a peer’s post, explain why you like it. If you agree or disagree about a peer’s point, explain why. You might also offer suggestions or share an example or experience that relates to your classmates’ post.
- – You will follow the steps from the previous page and select any sociology of family topic that we have covered in class from Weeks 2-15. Your selection can be a topic from the assigned reading and modules. Again, follow the same steps as listed in the above criteria. Refer to any feedback provided from your previous blog to improve your second blog entry.