The IOM Future of Nursing report calls for an increase in leadership from nurses at all levels. One way nurses demonstrate their role as a leader, is through public policy change. A leader does not always carry an official title or position, but demonstrates leadership through the work and the stance the leader takes to make a change for the good of others. Nurses have been noted by the Gallop poll year after year as the most trusted professionals.
This assignment requires thought about a public policy that is needed or needs to be changed that relates to nursing, health care, or the public. Policy changes can occur by working with members of your legislature, and state or national nurses associations, to introduce a new bill and/or change to a current law in your state or federal government.
Examples of public policy includes any component of the current legislation governing health care, Medicare Part D, Medicaid, nursing regulation, medication technicians, etc.
In 750-1,000 words, propose a health policy change (that is currently a bill, a law, or may not exist at all) at the state or federal level that you believe needs to change and why. APA Format with page number using only the sources provided – must cite from at least 3 sources.
Address each of the issues listed below 1-4
- The policy must not be a clinical care policy for individual care. The policy involved may include public or community health, legislative or regulatory, professional organization (nursing-oriented), advanced nursing practice, health plan, or hospital plan.
- Include a specific section for the exact wording for the bill or change in wording of the law.
- Include the plan for the implementation of your policy development, to lobbying for passage, to next steps after passage.
- Discuss who would be the champion for the bill/law change from your state advocates (legislators, federal legislators, local or national state nursing organizations). Are these individuals also influential in making changes occur? Did you vote for the individual in office that you want to help you make this change?
- Review different pieces of legislation for ideas on wording.
- Visit your state’s legislative governmental affairs website site to understand the process your policy change could take if you wanted to introduce to into legislation.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Follow the Rubic (1-7)
- Rationale/purpose is comprehensive, supports the purpose of policy process that is actually conducted for a public health policy, and clearly shows logical progression of how development took place. Purpose and objectives of presentation are clearly delineated. At least three learner objectives are stated in behavioral terms.
- Paper completely addresses the beginning wording for the proposed health policy change.
- Paper completely addresses the key legislative process
- Paper completely addresses the implementation plan Presentation is specific and easily understood.
- Writer is clearly in control of standard, written American English.
- The writer uses a variety of sentence constructions, figures of speech, and word choice in unique and creative ways that are appropriate to purpose, discipline, and scope.
- Title page is complete. References section includes correctly cited sources. Citations within the body of the paper and in the Reference section are included and correctly cited.