Management Issues SWOT Analysis Discussion
Part 1: Management Issues
Length: 400 words
As a leader within a healthcare organization, whether large or small, you need to understand the governance structure of the organization and your role.
What are the three components of the governance structure of a healthcare organization?
What is the difference between corporate governance and clinical governance? Are they independent or co-dependent?
What are the main areas of organizational performance oversight for the governing body of a healthcare organization and what tools are used to monitor performance?
Imagine yourself in the role of a department head, what would your responsibilities be in the governance of the organization?
Part 2: Management Issues
- Length: 12 PP Slides (plus title and reference slide)
Healthcare managers must deal with three components of healthcare delivery: access to care, quality of care and the cost of care. With the move to a value based care model from fee for service, there is a stronger connection between quality of care and payment. Organizations that accredit healthcare facilities such as The Joint Commission focus on quality standards. These organizations may also hold what is called “deemed status”. This means that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) will accept accreditation of a healthcare facility by an accrediting organization such as The Joint Commission as meeting the Conditions of Participation (CoPs). Healthcare organizations that meet the CoPs are eligible for reimbursement for the care of Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries. Thus, the standards for accreditation include those that align with the CoPs. Managers must ensure that their organization meets these standards.
- Prepare a PowerPoint Presentation of 12-15 slides, not including title page and reference page, with 150-300 words of speaker notes. Review the CMS Conditions of Participation for the type of health care organization that you chose in Week 1 and that you have used throughout this course.
Identify at least two sections of the CoPs (e.g., patient rights, medical record services).
- Explain how these sections are implemented in your selected health care facility.
Compare and discuss how these sections might be implemented differently in another type of health care facility.
- Make recommendations for how your healthcare facility could make improvements to ensure meeting the CoPs.
In addition to the two CoPs that you have chosen, describe the Emergency Preparedness CoP, and how your health care facility will implement this standard.
You can research the CoPs for your chosen health care organization in the Code of Federal Regulations at 24CFR utilizing the links below:
Hospitals (Part 482): https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=04c37fc7f301bc2495a7048d5fbdf350&mc=true&node=pt42.5.482&rgn=div5
Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASC) (Part 416): https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=04c37fc7…
Hospice (Part 418): https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=42%3A18.104.22.168.5
Home Health Agencies (Part 484): https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=04c37fc7…
Other Specialized Providers (Part 485): https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=04c37fc7f301bc2495a7048d5fbdf350&mc=true&node=pt42.5.485&rgn=div5
Note: Use APA style to cite at least 2 scholarly sources
Part 3: Management Issues (cont)
Length: SWOT analysis and 4 pages
An integral part of the strategic planning process is to gather information. One method of doing this is by conducting a strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis. Now that you have reviewed your chosen standards, you will examine the impact of both internal and external forces on your chosen facility.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis for your chosen facility that examines the forces that may affect the facility.
Be sure to pay particular attention to the issues of financing, productivity, and marketing, as well as others you feel have the potential to impact the facility.
- Present your SWOT analysis using a standard SWOT analysis matrix.
Below your SWOT analysis, identify and discuss at least one issue from each section of your SWOT analysis in further detail in an effort to analyze why you feel the chosen issue may have the greatest impact on the facility.
- When discussing your weakness and threats, be sure to include:
1–2 goals that should be created to improve in these areas
- A brief description (1–2 paragraphs) of a plan of action to improve in these areas that includes how you will accomplish the goals that you set in the first bullet point. In an action plan, there is usually a time frame, steps to how you plan to meet the goals you set, and how you will measure the goals.